The trial of a former Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Mohammed Adoke over alleged involvement in the $1.2billion Malabu oil deal has been adjourned till Thursday for continuation of trial.
Adoke who was arraigned alongside six others before Justice Idris Kutigi of the Gwagwalada Division of the court last week got his charges amended to 42.
The EFCC had been on the trail of the former AGF for his alleged role in the contentious transfer of Nigeria’s OPL 245 oil field.
The EFCC alleged that Aliyu distributed the money to some top officials of Shell and Eni as well as some officials of the Jonathan administration.
Adoke was also accused by EFCC for receiving N300 million from Aliyu in 2013 as his share of the Malabu windfall.
Shell, Eni, and their officials are already being prosecuted in Italy for the scandal.
But Adoke has denied any wrongdoing, saying that the actions taken in respect of the transfer of the block were based on the instructions of former President Goodluck Jonathan and in the best interest of Nigeria.
At the resumed trial on Monday, a member of Adoke’s legal team, Mike Ozekhome, SAN presented a six-paragraph affidavit supported by 10 exhibits, stating that because of ill health and high blood pressure, Adoke could not walk properly.
“He is looking pale like a 75-year-old man,” the lawyer said.
He also said part of the exhibits showed that Mr Adoke did not run away from the country, but was on a study programme in the Netherlands.
Arguing further, Ozekhome added that the former AGF was not deported to Nigeria as claimed by the EFCC adding that: “He bought his own flight ticket back to the country.”