A 37-year-old man identified as Chinedu Nweze at the weekend set himself ablaze in Abakaliki, Ebonyi state capital.
Nweze who hails from Umuogharu in Ezza North local government area of the state was said to have been complaining bitterly of severe hardship to his neighbours, a day before the act.
The incident which took place on Easter eve occurred beside a classroom block at St. Patrick’s Primary School field, opposite st. Patrick’s Catholic church Kpirikpiri Abakaliki .
Blueprint gathered that the young man decided to set himself ablaze out of frustration and difficulties of life, but was saved by sympathizers who rushed to the scene with tools that quenched the fire.
He got most part of his body burnt including the vital parts.
Though it was not clear if someone assisted Chinedu in the act, he was said to have tied his legs with a rope before setting himself ablaze, perhaps to prevent escape before pouring petrol on his body and immediately set himself ablaze.
His neighbour who did not want her name in print told journalists that the man had sometimes developed mental illness but not to the level of setting himself ablaze.
He expressed shock and thanked those who saved him adding: “It was a great shock to see Chinedu on fire.”
Investigation into the family background of Nweze revealed that he has
lost his father and mother and has no other close relations that have
the capacity to render helps.