AEDC describes staff death reports as untrue

The Abuja Electricity Distribution Company (AEDC) has described as untrue reports that one of its staff died as a result of electric shocks. 

According to a statement signed by General Manager, Corporate Communications, Oyebode Babs Fadipe, and made available to Blueprint, the said Tanko Lawal is not a staff of the company. 

The DisCO said that neither Tanko Lawal who died at the School of Health, Angwan NEPA Keffi in Nasarawa State from electrical shocks nor Mr. Mohammed Lawal who invited him but was erroneously described as the deceased by some online and social media platforms were not its staff. Rather, the deceased – Tanko Lawal and Mr. Mohammed Lawal who invited him to restore electricity were unauthorized persons who illegally went on the AEDC facility in the compound of the school to do a job for which they lack the required expertise and therefore did not take heed of safety rules that are absolutely necessary before working on any electrical circuit.

“Company said the deceased whose name was given as Tanko Lawal was invited by one Mohammed Lawal who up till 2016 was a staff of AEDC to help restore electricity to the school which it lost while students were playing football. From investigations, while the students were playing football, the ball hit the lines, which twisted and this created a fault that led to the dropping of two J&P fuses. In an attempt to restore electricity, one of the students introduced Mohammed Lawal to the authorities of the school who in turn invited the deceased to the school.

The DisCo further clarified the lines feeding the school was without electricity from AEDC as at the time of the incident and that the victim is suspected to have suffered electrocution as a result of back feeding from the generator of the school. Electricity was only restored to the lines about 4pm on the same day long after the incident happened-11am.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply