Again, Boko Haram attacks Izghe, razes village



In a commando style, dreaded members of Boko Haram sect have again struck in Izghe border town in Gwoza area of Borno state,killing at least  three  persons and burning the entire town.

It would be recalled that last week, over 106 persons were reported to have been slaughtered  by insurgents  during late night attack on the same town, as thousands of villagers fled to neigbhouring villages.
In the fresh attack, residents said the gunmen invaded the village at about 10 a.m. shooting sporadically and setting their homes (mostly thatched) ablaze.

They were suspected to have invaded the town after escaping from their camps in Sambisa and other camps in Borno and Yobe states, during the military raid.
“They invaded our village while most of people have fled, to Gulak and other neighbouring towns of Adamawa. The attackers burnt down the remaining houses.

“Initially we thought there were soldiers there. Some of us wanted to go back and pick the aged persons and some of our belongings when they (Boko Haram) resurfaced ransacking everywhere before they later set ablaze our houses.
“At least three persons were killed during this fresh attack including two women,” said Bulama Apagu,the district head of Izghe on Sunday.

Another fleeing villager, who did not want to name for security reasons,  further narrated how the incident occurred.
“They came in at about 10 a.m. They were driving pickup vans filled with young men chanting “Allahu akbar” (God is great). Others were on motorcycles. Those of us who heard their arrival managed to escape. They burnt houses, and food stuff. Several women and children were found seriously injured.

We had to flee the village because we cannot risk being attacked again. Our food stores have been looted by the gunmen too,” he said.
A nearby border chairman of Madagali local government area in Adamawa state, Mr Maina Ularamu, had equally confirmed the incident. He expressed worry that villagers in remote and isolated places often fall victims to such attacks.

He said that other locals in nearby villages continued to flee their homes as they feared more attacks from Boko Haram, regretting that attacks still happening despite the military presence in the state which, like Borno and Yobe, is under emergency rule.
The council boss said that the locals were gripped by terror.  “Everybody is living in fear,” he explained.
“There is no protection. We cannot predict where and when they are going to attack. People can’t sleep with their eyes closed,” Ularamu added.

In the meantime, efforts to get military spokesman proved abortive, but a top military source confirmed the attack, and revealed that the attackers from the extremist Islamist sect were operating from forests close to the Republic of Cameroon.
He added that the military has intensified aerial surveillance of the area and the launch of air bombardment of the sect’s hiding places as part of a broad counter offensive.