Alleged forgery: Rights group demands FCC chair’s resignation

A human rights group, Youths and Leadership Initiative (LYGEL), has demanded the immediate resignation of the chairman, Federal Character Commission (FCC), Dr. Muheeba Farida Dankanka, over alleged forgery of her academic certificates.

The group alleged that she forged some of the academic certificates she presented to the Senate during her screening and, therefore, called on the National Assembly to re-scrutinise her academic certificates.

The group’s director, legal and compliance, Mr. Olalekan Oladapo, in a statement issued in Abuja on Friday, also alleged that the FCC chairman presented the fake documents in order to hoodwink the Senate and the general public.

The statement read in part, “Dr. Muheeba Farida Dankanka is the official name by which the present chairman of the Federal Character Commission (FCC) goes. However, a critical and systematic review of the Certified True Copies of the credentials she submitted to the Senate for her screening revealed that this name by which she goes is at variance with the names on all the documents she presented which are different and un-reconcilable with each other.

“For instance, the name on her master’s degree certificate obtained from the Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, reads Muuibat Adenike Salawu. This is different from her official name which is Dr. Muheeba Farida Dankanka.

“Also, the name on her West Africa Examination Council (WAEC) school certificate she obtained in 1978 reads Salawu Muuibat Adenike. This is also different from her official name.

“We have also found out that the title of doctor which she bears and signs on all official documents happen to be an honourary doctorate degree conferred on her by an unregistered institution which has been declared illegal by relevant authorities.”

Oladapo faulted claims by the FCC chair that the changes in her name were as a result of marriage, alleging that from the group’s findings there was no affidavit to back the claim.

While threatening to institute a legal action against the FCC chairman, the group gave a seven-day ultimatum for her to resign or face litigation.

Efforts to reach the FCC chairman for reaction were futile as her phone was not reachable as at the time of filing in this report.

Related content you may like