APC convention: NSCDC, VIO deploy 2,400 personnel
Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) and the FCT Vehicle Inspection Office (VIO) has said that 2,400 personnel had been deployed to provide security during the All Progressives Congress (APC) convention today within the FCT.
NSCDC, FCT Command, Public Relations Officer (PRO), Mr. David Akinbinu, disclosed that the corps had deployed 2,000 of its personnel to ensure the territory was properly secured during the convention.
Akinbinu said the personnel of the corps had been deployed to secure the nooks and crannies of the FCT.
“This is because of the expected influx of participants into the city for the event,” he said.
He said the personnel of the corps had earlier started monitoring various areas in the FCT even before the convention was scheduled for Saturday.
“We don’t wait until there is a special function in the territory before we deploy our men to ensure the city is crime free,” he said.
Similarly, the PRO, FCT VIO, Mr. Kalu Emetu, also disclosed that the agency had deployed 400 personnel, 40 vehicles and 20 motorbikes to provide security during the event.
Emetu said the personnel had been deployed to curb the vehicular and human traffic expected in the territory during the convention.
“We are to ensure people and vehicle owners avoid the restricted areas as appropriate diversions have been provided.
“The 20 motorbikes deployed will aid security operations during the convention,” he said.
He urged Nigerians to avoid the restricted areas.
…El-Rufai condemns attack, vows justice
Kaduna state Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, has condemned a reported attack on security agents, and the destruction of property by suspected members of the Islamic Movement of Nigeria.
Members of the Shi’ite group staged a protest in Kaduna on Thursday against the detention of their leader, Ibrahim El-Zakzaky.
El-Zakzaky appeared before a Federal High Court in Kaduna for the continuation of the hearing on the case instituted against him and the group by the Kaduna state government.
During the protest, suspected members of the group attacked residents and security operatives, destroying police patrol vans and buildings as seen in a video by Premium Times.
A police officer was confirmed killed in the melee, while the protesters said they retaliated after the police forcefully dispersed their peaceful rally killing three Shiites.
In a statement, El-Rufai, whose government had banned the IMN, condemned the protest and directed the police to arrest and investigate all suspects involved.
“The Kaduna state government strongly condemns the barbaric attacks visited on security agents in Kaduna by members of an unlawful society over two days this week. Governor El-Rufai has conveyed the commiserations of the state government to the Nigerian Police Force for the loss of a police officer and the injuries to some officers.
“The Kaduna state government stands in solidarity with the security agencies that are performing the vital duty of keeping citizens safe. It wishes to assure all security personnel of its unflinching support for the lawful discharge of their mandate.
“There can be no doubt that the state government shall seek justice for the officers who suffered the horrific mob attacks. Illegal groups cannot by acts of violence impose their will on others or try to decide ongoing court processes through street action. No group will be allowed to oppress or menace others under any guise.
“Government calls on all citizens, civil society groups and communities to extend support to security agencies. Mobs and unlawful groups must know that our communities will resist their attempts to foment chaos”, the statement added.