The All Progressives Congress (APC) has challenged the opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) to argue with facts over alleged stolen N15trillion and the employment racketeering.
The ruling party was reacting to reports of stolen N15 trillion public funds as canvassed by the opposition party, describing it as “unfounded and baseless allegation.”
In a statement signed Wednesday in Abuja by the national secretary, Caretaker/Extraordinary Convention Planning Committee (CECPC), Sen. John James Akpanudoedehe, the APC said from petroleum subsidy rackets, unexecuted electricity, CCTV, roads, to arms contracts to fight the North-east insurgency, the culture of outright theft, misappropriation and diversion of public funds became the mainstay and pastime of successive PDP administrations.
The statement said: “The PDP is obviously hungover these forgotten and discarded years of locust. Under President Muhammadu Buhari, Nigeria has left that era.
“The most ardent critics of the President Buhari and the APC government he leads will definitely chorus one fact: This government is unsparing and does not condone thieves within and outside government. Nigeria is definitely not where it was in terms of the pervasive corruption, impunity which ultimately ended the PDP administrations 16 years of locust.
“With the implementation of Treasury Single Account, Biometric Verification Number (BVN), Whistle Blowing policy among other initiatives undertaken by the President Buhari administration, the fight against corruption remains one of the strongest successes of this administration. For a rudderless party blinded by its tactless opposition politics, we dont expect the PDP to see the impact and commendations these initiatives have received and the increased government savings it has brought to fund ongoing and critical infrastructure projects across the country.”
On the alleged employment racketeering under APC administration, Akpanudoedehe, “The bribe-for-jobs and other employment rackets perpetuated under PDPs watch remains one of the most disgraceful and lowest points in our nations history. Nigerians will recall how a PDP government fleeced young job seekers of application fees under the pretext of mass recruitment. Many died and where maimed in the 2014 Nigerian Immigration Service recruitment exercise for advertised vacancies that had been allegedly sold off by job racketeers. Under President Buhari, Nigeria has left that era.
“Nigeria is no island. We suffered our fair share of the economic impact of the COVID-19 global pandemic on livelihoods and jobs. Commendably, President Buhari showed leadership in cushioning the effects and guiding the country out of the economic challenges.
“No government in the country’s history has systematically put in place measures to create jobs and alleviate poverty like the President Buhari government.
“The proactive and successful implementation of the N2.3 trillion Economic Sustainability Plan (ESP) has not only stimulated the economy and prevented business collapse, it has also created jobs through support to labour intensive sectors such as agriculture, direct labour interventions and infrastructural investments.
“The administrations N75billion National Youth Investment Fund (NYIF) as well as the Micro Small Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) Survival Fund which include Payroll Support for businesses in health, education, hospitality and food production sectors has targeted millions and provided opportunities for the youths and many Nigerian businesses.
“We invite the PDP to argue with the facts.”