Bama, Yobe attacks: Buratai visits Theatre Command




The Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-General Tukur Buratai yesterday held a crucial meeting with the Theater Commander of Operation Lafiya Dole and other top military officers at the Military Command and Control Centre, Maiduguri, Borno state.
Although the outcome of the meeting was not made public, a military source said the meeting was to review and re-strategise the ongoing operations, especially Operation Last Hold in Northern Borno and Lake Chad fringes.
According to the source ” the meeting is a routine by the Chief of Army Staff to meet with the commanders of various operations in the North-east, especially as a result of recent attacks on our locations.”
It will be recalled that the Boko Haram terrorists, last weekend, attacked troops at Kwakwa and Chingori communities in Bama area of Borno, and also attempted to cart away troops operational vehicles, but were repelled with the support of the Nigerian Air Force fighter jets.
According to Army spokesperson, Brigadier-General Texas Chukwu in a statement, no fewer than 22 members of the terrorists group were killed while others fled during the encounter.
He said the army lost an officer, while a soldier sustained injuries
The terrorists also last week attacked a military base in Jilli community Yobe state.
But the army spokesperson said contrary to media reports the attack was repelled by the troops, and normalcy had since returned to the area.
He said all the troops in the base were accounted for after the attack, contrary to media reports that 100 troops fled the base.
It would be recalled that the army inaugurated Operation Last Hold in May 1, 2018, to ensure quick return of Internally Displaced Persons to their ancestral homes, and restore economic activities in the northern part of Borno state
No fewer than 35,000 IDPs have so far return to Gudumbali and Kakawa in Guzamala local government of Borno state, according to the army spokesperson.

Related content you may like

Be the first to comment