Bandits sack Sokoto village, kill monarch, 75 others

About 10, 000 people from 10 villages are now taking refuge in Rabah and Gandi towns of Sokoto state, following the invasion of Tabani village where scores were alleged to have been killed by suspected armed bandits.
A credible source close to the victims told Blueprint that the suspected armed bandits, riding on 150 motorcycles, on Tuesday at about 3 pm, stormed Tabbani village in Rabah local government area of the state, killing the village head and 75 others.
The source added that the gunmen set the village ablaze and shot sporadically at fleeing villagers.
Multiple sources, including Aliyu Ibrahim, son of the slain district head, confirmed the attack, saying they counted 50 bodies at Gandi Hospital.
According to the Secretary to the Gandi District Head, Engr Tukur Muhammad, the actual number could not be ascertained now because many people fled to the bush with gunshots while others were drowned in the river.
According to him, 38 victims, both women and men, including the slain district head, had been buried according to Islamic rites.
Governor Aminu Tambuwal was among sympathisers that attended the funeral prayer for the deceased persons.
“The Tabani village and other surrounding villages have now been deserted, and the lucky ones who survived the attack are now seeking refuge at Rabah and Gandi towns,” added one of our sources.
Buhari condemns attack Reacting to the killing, President Muhammadu Buhari described the incident as heinous and barbaric.
In a statement by his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Malam Garba Shehu, the President said: “This wanton violence against innocent people won’t be tolerated by this government, and we are working round the clock to identify the people sponsoring these heartless attacks.
“It is curious why any group of mass murderers would be targeting and killing innocent people for no just reason.
Make no mistake about it; my administration remains committed to security as one its core objectives, and any attempt to test our will by any group of anarchists and trouble makers will be met with equal force.” The President assured Nigerians that “identifying and defeating these callous killers is receiving priority from this administration, and we shall spare no effort in tracing the root of this evil, especially their sources of funding and arms.” He said “although these hit and run gangs of mass murderers are using unconventional tactics, they would eventually be defeated.
“This administration will not allow any group of barbarians and criminals hold the country hostage and destroy life without consequences.
I wish to assure all Nigerians that their security is receiving the greatest attention from this administration and there is no compromise in this commitment.
I appeal for your patience while my security teams crack their brains to put an end to this horrendous violence.” The President extended his condolences to the government, families of the victims and the people of Sokoto state at large over what he called “this incredible loss of lives at the hands of these enemies of humanity.” He assured that the federal government would give all possible assistance to the state in dealing with the tragic incident.
Police nab suspected kidnappers Meanwhile, the state police command has arrested and paraded 3 kidnappers at Marnona village of Wurno local government terrorising people of Rara, Rabah and Achida towns.
Parading the suspects, the Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Cordilia Nwaye, who gave their names as Bello Mohammed, Amadu Buba and Sambo Aliyu, said the suspects were arrested on 9- 7- 2018, on a tip-off at Marnona village.
He further disclosed that they would be charged to court after investigation, assuring members of the public of the command’s readiness to nip crimes in the bud.
The police image maker called for cooperation and support from members of public, by passing relevant information to the nearest police station for prompt action

No tags for this post.


Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply