Those behind Offa killings won’t escape justice – FG



The federal government has assured Nigerians that those behind last Thursday’s armed robbery and killings in Offa, Kwara state, would be arrested and brought to justice.
Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Muhammed, gave the assurance during a condolence visit to the Kwara state Governor, Alhaji Abdulfatah Ahmed, in Ilorin.
“What happened in Offa on Thursday shocked the entire nation, and it is our prayers that the souls of all the victims will rest in peace and also that those badly injured would be heeled and recover very soon.
“I want to take this opportunity to also let you know that the entire country is grieving and the entire country is sympathising with Kwara state and the entire people of Offa.
“I spoke yesterday with the IG on Saturday and he assured me that all the people responsible for the dastardly act would be arrested and brought to justice,” he said.
Responding, Governor Ahmed thanked the “Presidency for its intervention so far.
” He described the level of the crime perpetrated as “unexpected,” a situation which he said, indicated that the country was in a “challenging situation.
” “Government at this time must accept the fact that the nation was going through challenging time and redoubled efforts towards improving on her security architecture,” he said, adding that “this is not the time for blame-game.
” He advocated for effective community policing and improved synergy through effective communications, particularly between the military and the police.
Also speaking at the Olofa of Offa’s Palace, Oba Mufutau Gbadamosi, the minister said, “we will learn the necessary lessons from this dastardly attack, and factor them into developing a better security architecture for the country to ensure the safety and security of the people of Offa and indeed all Nigerians.
’’ Mohammed said though the armed robbers killed and maimed, they did not succeed in breaking the spirit of the people of Offa, who have continued bustling with energy and their trademark entrepreneurial spirit.
He gave the assurance that while some of the robbers have been arrested, all the others who are still at large would also be apprehended and brought to justice. During the visit to the Commissioner of Police, Ado Lawan, the minister thanked the police for their efforts to keep Nigerians safe, against all odds.
He was also at the State General Hospital and the University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital, where the nine injured persons are being treated, to wish them a speedy recovery.
7 arrested Meanwhile, seven suspects are currently in police custody in connection with the dastardly attacks, CP Lawan has confirmed.
“Seven suspects were arrested; one at Igosun road and six others at different locations in Off a,” the police commissioner told reporters.
“They are helping us in our investigation, and seven vehicles abandoned and recovered from the armed robbers, while some rifles were carted away by the robbers.
“The Inspector General of Police has ordered a full investigation and has directed his Intelligence Response Team and others to assist in getting the robbers arrested.
“The command wishes to express its heartfelt condolences to the families and friends of the victims while also wishing the injured quick recovery,” the police boss said.
Governor Ahmed, had at the weekend, offered N5 million for information on the robbery incident.
, adding that necessary information can be passed to the state police command on the following numbers :0803 739 1280 and 0803 702 4320.
The governor assured that such information will be treated with utmost confidentiality

 

Sign Up Now

ePaper Subscription

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*