Breaking: Lalong imposes curfew on Jos as travellers suffer attack

Plateau state governor Simon Lalong

Governor Simon Lalong, has imposed 6pm to 6am curfew on Bassa, Jos North and Jos South Local Government Areas (LGAs) of Plateau state.

This he said was part of measures to avoid further deterioration of security breach in the affected local government areas where travellers were reported to have been killed on Saturday.

Lalong in a statement he personally issued, Saturday night, said the decision was reached after he was briefed by heads of security agencies. 

He said: “Sequel to the unfortunate breach of peace along Rukuba road, Jos North LGA on 14th August 2021, where a convoy of commuters was attacked leading to killing of innocent persons, I have received briefings on the situation from the relevant heads of security agencies.

“The reports indicate that 23 of those attacked lost their lives while 23 persons sustained injuries and are currently receiving treatment. 26 others were rescued unhurt. So far, 20 suspects have been arrested and the security agencies are conducting investigations to get to the bottom of the matter.”

According to him, having reviewed the reports and monitored the unfolding scenario, government is concerned about the persisting tensions and reported attempts by some persons to take the laws into their hands by threatening to attack individuals and private facilities, as well as public property. 

“In to avoid further deterioration of the situation and to protect lives and property of citizens, I have directed the imposition of curfew on Jos North, Bassa and Jos South Local Governments commencing 6pm to 6am from today, 14th August 2021. 

“The curfew shall remain in place subject to further review by the State Security Council,” Lalong said. 

He directed all citizens to abide by the directive to enable security personnel maintain law and order in the affected areas and deal with those attempting to foment trouble by taking advantage of the situation to perpetrate crime.

Lalong said the government will continue to monitor the unfolding situation and take further necessary measures to ensure the safety of lives and property.

“While I deeply sympathise with the families of those who lost their loved ones, and those injured in the unfortunate event, I call for calm and appeal to our citizens to avoid any action or utterances that will further inflame the situation.

“This is purely a criminal conduct and should not be given any ethnic or religious colouration,” he said. 

Lalong said asked the people to continue to be vigilant and be security conscious and do everything possible to sustain peace and security of the state.