No fewer than seven people have been killed by cholera with 32 hospitalised in Gombe state.
The state Commissioner of Health, Dr. Habu Dahiru, stated this while speaking with newsmen in Gombe on Thursday.
He said the first confirmed case was recorded as a result of death of a 2-year-old child in Kalaja village of Akko local government area of the state.
According to him, on Friday, May 21, the Public Health Emergency Operations Center of the ministry received a surveillance report of suspected cases and that Rapid Response Team was deployed.
“It is easily spread in the community if control measures are sub-optimal. With the threshold of confirmed cases reached, I hereby declare an outbreak of cholera in Garko Ward of Akko LGA. So far, 32 cases have been treated and discharged, 6 are currently on admission,” Dr. Dahiru said while adding that 7 deaths had been recorded so far.
“I will like to remind the general public that cholera can be prevented by use of clean water, consumption of hygienically prepared meals, particularly uncooked food. Personal hygiene and environmental sanitation are also proven preventive measures”.