The Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ), Ebonyi state council Wednesday expressed worries on alleged passivity of the Inspector General of Police (IGP) Adamu Mohammed on the raid of the Abuja residence of Ebonyi state governor, David Umahi.
The council condemned the invasion of the governor’s Abuja home and linked it to the ban on the movement of herders with arms in the South-east region by South-east Governors’ Forum, which Umahi is the chairman.
Umahi’s home at Abuja was raided recently by security operatives believed to have come from the Force Headquarters of the Nigerian Police.
Policemen guarding the residence were said to have been disarmed and made to lie on ground while the invading forces ransacked the building.
The act reportedly took place few days after Umahi and his colleagues from the South-east announced a ban on herdsmen with arms in the region.
The region had in recent time witnessed heightened tension between herdsmen and farmers, leading to loss of lives.
The council described the incident as an unwarranted attack not just on Governor Umahi and the South-east governors but against the entire Ndigbo.
The council in a communiqué signed by the NUJ chairman and secretary, Comrades Tony Nwizi and Nnamdi Akpa, expressed concern on the continued silence of the Inspector General of Police and the Presidency on the invasion.
They called on them to come open and make public pronouncements on the outcome of their investigation if any.
The communiqué which was raised after extensive deliberation of congress reads: “The Council wishes to congratulate His Excellency, the Governor of Ebonyi state, David Nweze Umahi, on his recent deserved victory at the governorship election tribunal judgment held in Abakaliki which reaffirmed him as the winner of the March 9 governorship election in the state”.
Ogun spends N15.8bn on roads in 6 months
By Olufemi Adediran
Ogun state Ministry of Works and Infrastructure Wednesday said it has spent over N15.8 billion on the construction of roads in some parts of the state between January and June this year.
TPermanent Secretary in the ministry, Mr. Kayode Ademolake, disclosed this while playing host to members of the state Assembly Committee on Works and Infrastructure, led by Hon. Abayomi Fasuwa at Oke-Mosan, Abeokuta.
Ademolake also stated that the ministry expended over N216 million representing over 57per cent of the N375million approved budget on salaries, while the sum of N221 million was spent on recurrent out of the total recurrent budget of N435million approved for the year.
The permanent secretary also said that over 1,000 shops had been constructed for those affected in the cause of the construction of infrastructural projects in the State, saying that rooms and shops had been reallocated to affected traders and displaced people.
Responding, the committee chairman, Hon. Fasuwa and his colleague-lawmakers requested for effective monitoring of all ongoing projects and the need to engage more of indigenous engineers and experts in all construction works being carried out by the ministry.
The committee members thereafter inspected ongoing and completed projects, including Block E part of the state secretariat, which was said to be over 60 per cent completion, Panseke-Adigbe road, Kuto overhead bridge and modern shopping mall at Omida.