Home / News / Judiciary / Evans lawyer’s application stalls his second arraignment
evaNS notorious kidnapper - Evans lawyer’s application stalls his second arraignment

Evans lawyer’s application stalls his second arraignment

Spread the love

By Jerry Uwah Lagos–

An application by the defence counsel seeking the dismissal of fresh charges slammed on suspected kidnap kingpin, Chukwudumeme Onwuamadike, alias Evans, yesterday stalled his fresh arraignment before a Lagos High Court in Igbosere. Lagos state government brought fresh charges against the suspected kidnap kingpin, but the arraignment was stalled as his lawyer brought an application asking the court to quash the two separate charges.

In the fresh charge, Evans and his co-defendants were accused of murder, kidnap, and attempted kidnap among other offences. In one of the charges, Evans was accused of attempted kidnap of the chairman of Young Shall Grow Transport, Vincent Amaechi. Other defendants charged alongside, Evans are: Joseph Ikenna Emeka, Chiemeka Arinze and Udeme Frank Ukpong.

However, the charge could not be read to the defendants following the application which sought to quash the charges. Evans lawyer, Olukoya Ogungbeje asked the court to quash all the seven counts charge against him and issue an order discharging him of the charge. The lawyer in the application, argued that the seven countcharge are bad for duplicity, grossly defective and constitute a gross abuse of court processes.

The application was brought pursuant to Section 55 of the Administration of Criminal Justice Law of Lagos state, 2015 and Sections 36 and 6 (6) (b) of the Constitution. He said counts 6 and 7 of the charge were gross abuse of court process as the same offence of firearms had earlier been fi led by the prosecution in charge number; LD/5962C/2017.

According to him, Evans has been erroneously charged with a federal offence and under a federal law by the Attorney-General of Lagos state. However, in its counteraffidavit, the Lagos state government contended that charge numbers; LD/5962/2017 and ID/5970/2017, referred to by the applicant are separate and distinct from the new charges.

It was further argued that the 2nd to 4th defendants in the new charge are not defendants in charge number; ID/5970C/2017.

It was also argued that apart from the confessional statements of Evans, arms and ammunitions were recovered from him and his cohorts. The court presided over by Justice Oluwatoyin Taiwo adjourned till Friday to rule on the application.


Spread the love

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

x

Check Also

dasuki - Court adjourns Dasuki trial till March 22

Court adjourns Dasuki trial till March 22

Spread the loveTweetAbuja An FCT High Court sitting in Abuja has adjourned the hearing of Col. Sambo Dasuki (retd.) trial till March 22. Justice Hussein Baba-Yusuf, adjourned the trial, after Dasuki’s counsel, Mr. Adeola Adedipe drew the court’s attention to an application dated November 3, 2017, for an adjournment, pending the outcome of a Supreme Court judgment on March 2. Dasuki is standing trial alongside former Minister Bashir Yuguda, former Director of Finance and Administration in the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA), Shuaibu Salisu, a former governor of Sokoto state, Alhaji Attahiru Bafarawa, his son, Sagir, and their family company, Dalhatu Investment Limited. They are being prosecuted by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on a 22-count charge bordering on criminal breach of trust and fraudulent diversion of public fund to the tune of N19.4 billion. “For the interest of Justice and fair hearing the matter is adjourned until March 22 for hearing,” Justice Baba-Yusuf ordered. Earlier, Adedipe said the application was praying for the court to grant him an adjournment pending the outcome of Supreme Court judgment on March 2 in Dasuki’s case. He said the outcome might have direct effect on the case in the ...