FCT Fire Service trains Wuse traders on disaster prevention



The Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Fire Service Wednesday held a sensitisation workshop for traders in Wuse market on how to fight fire disasters.

The training, which had in attendance participants from different sectors of the market, including traders in different wares, restaurant operators, tailors, cold room operators, market leaders, among others, had a team of the FCT Fire Service as instructors.

The participants were taught different safety tips and fire fighting methods and were also allowed to demonstrate practical examples of how to extinguish fire using blankets or carbon dioxide (Co2) and Dry Chemical Powder (DCP) fire extinguishers.

Addressing participants at the workshop, the Public Relations Officer of FCT Fire Service, Mr Friday Timveh, revealed that fire accidents are caused by an intermixture of fuel, oxygen and heat, adding that constant sensitisation is important especially as fire disasters occur a lot in the dry season and in crowded markets.

He revealed that fuel is anything that can burn, including clothes, and therefore should not be restricted to diesel, petrol or kerosene, adding that fire needs only 16% oxygen to be ignited, even as he warned for people to protect against heat as “fuel and oxygen are readily available”.

He said: “We have two types of causes of fire disasters: natural and man-made. Earthquakes and volcanoes are natural, while carelessness and arson are man-made. Imagine leaving your boiling water unattended to, placing your hot pressing iron on a cloth while stepping outside to speak with someone or not attending to what you are cooking. The above are instances of carelessness, which could lead to fire outbreak. Even juvenile deliquency, like children experimenting with matches, could lead to fire outbreak.

“Therefore, you should have 6kg or 9kg Co2 or DCP fire extinguishers in your shops. Don’t be stingy with your fire extinguisher, in case there is a fire in your neighbour’s shop, because it may spread if not extinguished. Also, gas cylinders should not be stored inside the shop, but outside and avoid the temptation of storing PMS or fuel in your shops. In case of a fire outbreak, raise an alarm, use the fire extinguisher if the fire has not spread, evacuate the shop or building then call the nearest fire station on 112 or 0929061181.”

While expressing gratitude for the training, Chairman of Wuse market, Mr Okorie Ikechukwu Raphael, said that a committee has been set up by the association of the market to ensure that a fire service station is set up in the market and that the committee has activated many measures to contain fire outbreaks.

No tags for this post.

Sign Up Now

ePaper Subscription

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*