FCT records highest road accidents in Q3 2017




By Donald Iorchir

Abuja

Federal Capital Territory [FCT] drivers recorded the highest number of road accidents in the third quarter of 2017and were closely followed by Kaduna and Kogi state drivers while Borno and Bayelsa states recorded the least crashes.
A detailed road transport data of crashes across the nation compiled by the National Bureau of Statistics [NBS] for the third quarter of 2017 showed that 2,478 road crashes occurred in the Q3 2017.
Speed violation and reckless driving were reported as the major causes of the road crashes in the Q3 and it accounted for 44.51% of the total road crashes reported. Dangerous driving and loss of control followed closely and accounted for 10.41% and 9.52% of the total road crashes recorded.
Similarly, a total of 1,070 Nigerians were killed in road traffic crashes recorded, 981 of the 1,070 Nigerians that got killed, representing 91.7% of the figure, were adults while the remaining 89 Nigerians, representing 8.3% of the figure were children. 815 males, representing 76.2%, died in road crashes while 255 females, representing 23.8% got killed.
The statistics said a total of 6,803 Nigerians were injured in road traffic crashes recorded and 6,419 people out if the number injured, representing 94.4% of the figure, were adults while the remaining 384, representing 5.7% of the figure were children. 5,110 male Nigerians, representing 75%, got injured in road crashes while 1,693 female Nigerians, representing 25% got injured.
The estimated vehicle population in Nigeria for the third quarter [Q3] of 2017 was put at 11,547,236 with the total population of the country put at 193,392,517 in 2016. Nigeria’s vehicle per population ratio was put at 0.06. Data on the category of vehicles involved in road crashes in Q3 2017 reflected that 58% of the vehicles were commercial (2,000), 40.6% are private (1,401),
1.4% were government (48) and the remaining were diplomat.
A total of 200,565 national drivers licenses were produced inthe third quarter [Q3] of 2017. Lagos and FCT produced the highest number of drivers’ licenses while Zamfara and Kebbi States produced the least numbers of national drivers’ license.
Similarly, a total of 75,958 vehicle number plates were produced in Q3 2017. Delta state and the FCT produced the highest number of vehicle plate numbers while Ekiti and Rivers states produced the least numbers of vehicle plate numbers in Q3 2017.

Related content you may like

Be the first to comment