Despite the orchestrated campaign by some elders of Borno and Yobe states against the extension of the state of emergency, there are strong indications that the federal government is favourably disposed to extending the period in the three North-east states.
A military top brass told our correspondent: “We have recorded successes against the insurgents, but what we are desirous of is having total victory. And based on this, we are going to recommend to Mr. President for an extension of the State of Emergency.”
It was gathered that the military high command had been holding series of crucial meetings with a view to adopting a common position during the enlarged security meeting that is scheduled to take place on or before Friday, this week, with President Goodluck Jonathan, Vice President Namadi Sambo, the National Security Adviser (NSA), Col Dasuki (rtd), the Chief of Defence Staff (CDS) and the Service Chiefs.
Another dependable source within the security circles said: “I can tell you authoritatively that the Service Chiefs will certainly call for an extension of the state of emergency in Adamawa, Borno and Yobe states to enable them flush out the insurgents completely. The military does not want to leave the job half done. If the military withdraws now, the pockets of the insurgents scattered around will regroup and start again.
“If we don’t crush the insurgents totally, then we would have lost the battle and initiative to them. We cannot afford that because it will be disastrous.”
It was also gathered that the military would strongly and vigorously canvass for extension of the emergency, particularly in Borno and Yobe states, to enable it flush out what is left of the insurgents.