Fire guts biggest supermarket in Ogwashi-Uku




Goods worth millions of naira were Tuesday razed down the largest supermarket in Ogwashi Uku, headquarters of Aniocha south local government area of Delta state.


The walls of the facility, Sylverson Supermarket  situated along the busy old Ogwashi Uku—Benin road which has operated for over 25 years in the premises collapsed as a result of the intensity of the fire.


The owner of the supermarket was said to have slumped on hearing the news of the incident  but however rushed to a medical facility where he is believed to be recuperating as at the time of filling in this report.


It was gathered that  fire fighters from the state fire service in the town were handicapped when distress calls  were put to them.


While the engine of their operational truck  could not start,  the firefighters who later visit  the scene  could not gain access to the building as the entrance   door was under lock and key.


Eyewitness account said the fire started at about 3 am and all efforts made by  sympathisers to salvage goods  were unsuccessful due to the intensity of the fire.
The residents attributing the inferno to  electrical fault should be  ruled out   because  public light went off at about 12 midnight.


“We were awaken by explosions and noise around the supermarket at about 3 am.”The fire was so tense that it became difficult to salvage any thing out from the shop to the point that the walls collapsed; everything inside was burnt completely.


“The issue of suspecting electrical fault can not hold water because the public electricity went off by 12 midnight and the incident happened at at 3pm. Again the supermarket doesn’t  make use of public light, it relies on its generating sets”, one of the neighbors said.


The Director of fire services in the state, Mr Eugene Oziwele  who later visited the scene   said it would be premature to  draw conclusion on the cause of the inferno.


According to him, his men who were handy met a brick wall as they could not  enter inside the supermarket because of the iron door that  was heavily padlocked.


 “I was told the operators  make use of generators  every day; we at still investigating,” he said.


Mr Eziwele explained that the  explosions noticed were caused by  insecticide cans, and perfumes etc which are highly inflamable.