Fire guts House of Reps




The Management of the National Assembly has confirmed the mild fire incident at the House of Representatives wing, but declared that the situation was immediately brought under control.

“There was a fire incident this evening (Thursday) in one of the Janitors, located on the 2nd floor, Room 227 in the new-wing, of the House of Representatives, suspected to have resulted from an electrical fault which was noticed by one of the Staff to the Clerk, House of Representatives, who promptly alerted the Federal Fire Service Unit stationed in the National Assembly Complex”, Agada Rawlings, Director, Information said in a late night statement.

He explained that the fire was put out with assistance of staff on duty who immediately broke into the affected office and effectively  deployed Stationed fire extinguishers on the floor before the arrival of the fire service officer.

“Consequently, the combined prompt efforts,  curtained the fire to the affected office only and power supply to the wing put off to enable a full assessment and investigations into the incident.

“It is expected that, after due assessment by the fire service and the Estate and works directorates, Normalcy in the New-Wings, housing all principal officer’s of the House of Representatives and Honourable members office’s,will be restored immediately.

“Management wish to commend the prompt response/ actions by the first responders particularly, National Assembly staff and the Fire Service Unit in helping to curtain the fire outbreak”, he stated.

Related content you may like