Fire guts Sokoto market



Properties worth billions of Naira has been gutted by fire at the popular Kara market in Sokoto.
The fire, which started at early hours of yesterday, was said to have been ignited by an electrical spark at a shop opposite the adjoining Kofar-Kade gate.
The fire was still raging when the Blueprint visited the scene at around 8am yesterday.
The items sold at the market include assorted grains, fertilisers, wheat, kola-nuts, generators, generator parts, insecticide, pesticide, onions, among others.
”Though I cannot exactly say what the remote cause of the incidence but we suspect that restoration of power at 12 midnight might be the cause,” said a trader.
”There was no light at the market since around 6.00 pm on Tuesday, while the light was restored at around midnight.
“I have lost everything to the inferno, cash and goods. Where do I start again. Another victim.”
“The fire was put off by some good Samaritans and the victims and we are still guarding our salvaged items,” Secretary of the Kolanuts Sellers Association in Sokoto state, Mr Shina Agboola, said.
All effort to get Director General sokoto state fire service, Alhaji Harande Chedi, proved abortive.

No tags for this post.

Sign Up Now

ePaper Subscription