The Importer’s Association of Nigeria (IMAN) said it has petitioned the Inspector General of Police and the Police Service Commission over alleged impersonation by one retired DIG Philom Leha Ibrahim.
The organisation has also demanded that retired DIG Leha Ibrahim be arrested, investigated and if found guilty be prosecuted.
In a statement made available to newsmen Thursday in Abuja by the IMAN Special Taskforce director general, Amb. Chijioke J. Okoro, said the Board of Trustees of Importers Association of Nigeria does not know or aware of DIG Leha’s appointment as the Director General of IMAN.
The statement said by assuming the position and parading himself as the director general it is illegal against the constitution of Importers Association of Nigeria or contempt of court process.
“We therefore appeal to the general public and innocent Nigerians to discountenance such imposter to avoid been defrauded thereby becoming victims.
“The Inspector General of Police as well as Police Service Commission is hereby notified that the DIG Leha Ibrahim Rtd, had left the police service for a while now, but operating as if he is still in police service by using police letter-headed papers to give appointment letters to unsuspected Nigerians, issue official police signal’s to group of unsuspected able bodied men to mount roadblocks to extort money from innocent Nigerians without police authority thereby impersonating the Inspector General of Police who has the rights and privileged to issue out such signals.
“Therefore, we hereby request the Inspector General of Police and Police Service Commission to swing into action by arresting DIG Leha Ibrahim, investigate him and if found guilty of this shameful acts, prosecute and brought to book.”
However, speaking to newsmen on phone, DIG Ibrahim said Amb Okoro was telling lies, insisting that he was appointed the Director-General of the task force four years ago.
“The appointment runs for a one-year term. Since my first appointment, my appointment has been renewed two times with the last one dated 19th December 2020.
“We have a five-member board and four of them sat and one of their resolutions was to renew my appointment last year.
“So, I don’t know why Okoro is challenging the appointment now. If he has any concerns, he should reach out to the board and not me. I didn’t appoint myself,” he said.
He also said that Amb Okoro is the coordinator of the task force in the Southeast and not the director-general of the task force as he claimed.