Malaria still poses great threat nationwide – Poll



Mosquito and malaria

A recent survey by NOI Poll about the danger of malaria in the country has shown that the disease still poses a great threat to the lives of millions of Nigerians.

This revelation came as a result of a survey conducted by Afrobarometer in commemoration of the World Malaria Day.

It said nine out of every 10 Nigerians (87 percent) believe that malaria is prevalent in the country, saying the assertion cuts across gender, geographical location and age-group.

According to NOI, “Respondents were asked if they or any member of their household has visited the hospital in the last three months. They indicated that 47 percent had visited a hospital due to illness. On the other hand, 53 percent answered negatively.

“A majority of respondents went to the hospital for (83 percent) stated that they were diagnosed with Malaria, while 25 percent stated that they were diagnosed with Typhoid fever.

“When asked about the symptoms of malaria, most of the respondents (76 percent) mentioned fever with shivering, 72 percent stated loss of appetite and 52 percent mentioned headache. Other symptoms mentioned include body pain (34 percent) while respondents mentioned fever with sweat and catarrh (8 percent each) amongst other malaria symptoms.

“Fifty seven percent of the respondents disclosed that they go to the hospital when they have symptoms of malaria while 16 percent mentioned that they go to a pharmacy. Fifteen percent stated that they go to a chemist and nine percent of Nigerians rely on self-medication when they have symptoms of malaria.

“With regards to prevention, the majority of the Nigerians (71 percent) claimed that they sleep inside a mosquito-treated net.

“While 45 percent mentioned that the clean their household surroundings as a way of preventing malaria, 40 percent stated that they spray anti-mosquito insecticide regularly in their homes amongst other preventives measures.”

World Malaria Day (WMD) is observed on April 25 every year. The day is aimed at spreading about malaria disease in order to take urgent action in the control of the deadly disease and to promote efforts to prevent it.

Sign Up Now

ePaper Subscription

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*