It is not yet Uhuru for the family of the late General Sani Abacha as the federal government has filed a fresh charge against the son of the late General Sani Abacha, Mohammed, accusing him of unlawfully receiving about N446.3 billion allegedly stolen from government’s coffers between 1995 and 1998.
Mohammed is, in the charge of nine counts, accused of “dishonestly receiving stolen property” and “voluntarily assisted in concealing money.”
The charge replaced the earlier one of 121 counts in which Mohammed was charged with Atiku Bagudu. The government has now excluded Bagudu from the fresh charge, leaving only Mohammed.
According to the new charge, the stolen money allegedly received by Mohammed, and which he was accused of concealing include 141,100,000 pounds sterling and $384,353,000 made up of cash and travellers cheques.
The charge dated February 24, 2014, was filed by a private prosecutor, Daniel Enwelum, who is prosecuting the case on behalf of the federal government and upon a fiat dated February 18, 2014 issued to him by the Attorney-General of the Federation.
Mohammed’s absence in court stalled his planned arraignment on the new charge yesterday before Justice Mamman Kolo of the High Court of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).
Enwelum told the court that even when Mohammed had been served with the charge, with evidence to that effect contained in a sworn affidavit by the court’s bailiff, the accused person has refused to attend court for him to be arraigned.
Ruling, Justice Kolo allowed the amended charge. He also granted an order discharging Bagudu from the charge and adjourned to April 29, for Mohammed’s arraignment.
The alleged offences are said to be punishable under Sections 317 and 319 of the Penal Code.