A midnight inferno yesterday morning killed a staff of NTA, Malam Aliyu Zubairu, and his wife, Nazira Zubairu.
Until his death, Zubairu was the NTA reporter covering the Adamawa state House of Assembly.
Family sources revealed that the fire which led to the death of the couple started around 1pm when electricity was restored, while the couple had gone to bed.
The source said the incident might not be unconnected with power surge when electricity was restored in the area around 12:30am.
The said: “The couple had gone to sleep when electricity was restored in the area. The smoke that was billowing from the house attracted sympathizers who trooped to give a helping hand amidst yelling.
Unfortunately, Zubairu was already asphyxiated by the smoke as such he collapses but the wife who has a chance to escape when the sympathisers broke the window, said she would not come out until the husband was rescued. But within the twinkle of an eye, the fire consumed the whole house making it impossible for rescue mission.”
General Manager of NTA, Yola, Malam Adamu Yusuf Tafawa Balewa, expressed shock over the incident, and urged family and colleagues of the deceased to take the death in good faith, saying “we could not question God.”
During his condolence, the chairman, Nigerian Union of Journalists (NUJ), Adamawa state council, Malam Salisu Mohammad, extolled the good virtues of Zubairu, saying that he was God-fearing, friendly and hardworking.
He also enjoined journalists in the state to register with the insurance scheme so that their families would get succour in the event of death.