…No cause for alarm – Police
There is tension in Enugu metropolis following an explosion that rocked scrap site of the former New Artisan Market in Enugu.
The incident which occurred at about 8pm Monday night destroyed nearby food shops and vehicles parked around.
The Enugu state police command has confirmed the incident.
In a release the command issued yesterday signed by its spokesman, SP Ebere Amaraizu, urged residents not to panic as there is no cause for alarm.
Amaraizu said the command have commenced a full scale investigations into the alleged incident, which according to him cause of the explosion is yet to be ascertained and no life was lost.
“The incident is alleged to have caused minor destruction in a nearby food shop, including two vehicles parked near the said shops.
“The state command has advised good people of the state particularly resident of the axis not to entertain fear or panic but to go about their normal lawful business as all hands are on deck by the command working in partnership with relevant sister security agencies and relevant stakeholders for a safe and secured Enugu state and its environs.”
The PPRO also disclosed that the personnel of the Explosive Ordinance Department of the state command had been deployed to further render the scrap site and its environs safe and secured.