Reducing cost of governance


Reducing the cost of governance will not affect the quality of government services to the citizens.
It is synchronised to curb our national wastage areas and optimise our national assets and human capital contributions to national growth and development.
All tiers of government’s recurrent expenditure profile has taken its toll on the various capital projects as evident in the dearth of infrastructure development across the country, even in maintaining the existing ones.
The Federal Government is worse off due to the unnecessary burden shouldered over the years! Funds earmarked for capital expenditure, many a time, found their way to offset urgent recurrent expenditure needs.
Many of our foreign missions were recently shut down, apparently due to lack of funds to maintain them.
Budgeted recurrent expenditure funds to pay government workers, official travelling costs, fixed national assets acquired maintenance and local/foreign debts servicing usually take a chunk of about 70 per cent of the entire national budgeted figures , leaving a meagre balance of 30 per cent to capital expenditure items.
A cursory look across the country in respect of all tiers of government capital projects will reveal a shocking sight of uncompleted/ abandoned projects, white elephants, dilapidating ones etc.
These capital projects were awarded and approved in most cases in anticipation of continuous crude oil revenue infl ows to our national coff ers, but shrinking over the years! This will continue unabated till we take concrete steps to address this endemic issue.
Fidelis Ogbaki, Ibadan, Oyo State



Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply