The second confirmed case of COVID 19 in Nigeria may be discharged and allowed to go home in few days after testing negative to the virus, the Minister of Health, Dr. Osagie Ehanire, has stated.
According to him, the index case is clinically stable and much improved.
The minister, who made these known at a briefing in Abuja, on Friday, said: “As at today, March 13, 2020, Nigeria has recorded still just two confirmed cases of COVID-19. One case is now negative and will be discharged from care, while the other will follow in a few days.
“The index case (the Italian) is clinically stable and is much improved. Steady progress till early next week will guide the medical team in discharging him. The second confirmed case, a contact of the index case is testing negative for the virus, meaning he has cleared the virus and will be allowed to go home.”
Continuing, he said, “A group of four children and their teacher flew into Lagos from the United States. Prior to their arrival, Nigeria CDC was informed by US-CDC, that this group had been in the same space with a confirmed case. We therefore sent these travelers into isolation on their arrival.
“Tests were done, which came back negative for all of them. They will stay in self-isolation for 14 days. After 14 days of follow up with no symptoms, all contacts of the index case will be permitted to go home and rejoin society.
“WHO has now declared COVID-19 a pandemic. It calls for cooperation and collaborative action to increase resources to quickly detect and control this outbreak. It is not a call for fear and panic. COVID-19 cases in China have continued to decline, evidence that the pandemic can be controlled.”
He said further that, “The Federal Ministry of Health is monitoring the global situation closely and seeking WHO advice. The Ministry through Port Health Services will prioritise measures for the containment of COVID-19, especially the screening of passengers at Points of Entry.
“Citizens are advised to discourage the spread of misinformation. Please ignore them as the only intent is to cause fear and panic. Rely only on information from authorised channels of the Ministry of Health, NCDC or state ministries of health.
“NCDC has launched a new website focused solely on COVID-19. It is updated daily and has information needed, including daily situation reports, guidance for schools, guidelines for health workers and more. The website is covid19.ncdc.gov.ng.”No tags for this post.