The United Nations Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator in Nigeria, Edward Kallon, has lamented rising insecurity in North-east Nigeria, saying that the situation is getting out of hand.
Speaking Tuesday in Abuja during a launch of north-east Nigeria Humanitarian Response Plan and US$1 billion appeal, Kallon said the last four years has been particularly tasking for states like Borno Adamawa, and Yobe as up to 5.1 million people are facing hunger issues, displacement, among others.
He said: “Ongoing conflict continues to be the main driver of humanitarian needs in north-east Nigeria, where millions of people have been displaced. Longstanding insecurity and violence, compounded by climate change and the impact of Covid-19 are increasing the vulnerability of close to nine million people.
“Close to two million people are internally displaced, while millions of people depend on humanitarian partners for basic services and up to 5.1 million people are facing hunger in the lean season– the worst outlook in four years. The humanitarian community and the Government of Nigeria officially launched the north-east Nigeria Humanitarian Response Plan for 2021 earlier today.
“The plan requests US$1 billion to enable partners to provide critical services to the 6.4 million most vulnerable people – amongst a total of 8.7 million people in need of some form of humanitarian assistance in 2021.
“The humanitarian crisis in Borno, Adamawa, and Yobe states, unfortunately, remains one of the largest in the world and continues to have a profound impact on Nigeria and its people, causing untold suffering and deprivation for millions of vulnerable women, men and children.
“The year 2021 marks the twelfth year of the conflict and the sixth year of the international community working together with the Government of Nigeria to provide humanitarian support. Last year was a challenging year for vulnerable people in north-east Nigeria. It was a year marked by a new reality, the COVID-19 pandemic. The socio-economic impact of the pandemic has already diminished the resilience of millions of people, increasing the fragility of those who were already extremely vulnerable.”
Also speaking, the Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, Sadiya Umar Farouq, said there is a growing need to assist displaced people affected by the crisis in North-east Nigeria through the 2021 Humanitarian Response Plan.
“The requirements for this 2021 Humanitarian Response Plan reflect a growing need, while we know that the available resources will very likely not be commensurate with those needs. We are facing additional challenges in terms of security and access for humanitarian partners, which is why we have developed the National Humanitarian Development Peace Framework,” she said.