Three days after a suspected Boko Haram assault on a high school in Yobe state, the police are still trying to ascertain the whereabouts of 30 schoolgirls, officials told Premium Times yesterday. Suspected Boko Haram operatives on Monday stormed Government Girls’ Science and Technical College, Dapchi, Bursari local government area, Yobe state, carting away foodstuff amongst other valuables.
Reports also emerged that the insurgents seized scores of girls at the school, although official confirmation of this had been difficult. “The total number of students at the school is 906. As at yesterday, we had counted 809. After that, we started locating them in one or two, But the school authorities have not been able to account for 30 students,” Yobe police commissioner, Sunmonu Abdulmaliki, told Premium Times on telephone yesterday.
But the police chief warned that the public should not take this to mean that they were kidnapped. “It is not impossible that some of them even left for home without telling the school authorities. “As I am talking to you, I have no evidence to say that they were abducted or they were not abducted.”